Monday, January 19, 2015

Spring Mix Salad with a side of Blackberries

We are now a few weeks into the new year and I have already begun to reap some of the health benefits from eating more fresh fruit and leafy greens. I feel more energized, fresher throughout the day and I'm not as tired after work. Blackberries are one of my favorite berries. They are absolutely delicious and full of nutrients. When enjoying them, It always takes me back to childhood with memories of picking them on the side of dirt roads in rural Alabama. My grandmother would always make a fresh blackberry pie from scratch for me, my brother and friends if we were able to gather up enough of them. I will never forget that smell coming from the kitchen, and the sight of the juices bubbling, piecing the homemade pie crust.

But this meal, I enjoyed a simple bowl of fresh organic blackberries from the market, freshly mixed baby spring lettuce, topped with strawberries, grated smoked Gouda cheese and rotisserie chicken breast sliced and added in. This was the absolute perfect explanation mark for a evening well spent. I found that the flavors of fresh fruit and mix lettuce compliments each other pretty well. Drizzle with any of your favorite vinaigrette dressing. Don't forget to follow me on Twitter for more great food ideas. Foodies United!

No comments:

Post a Comment