Monday, January 26, 2015

The All American Pot Pie


This was probably one of the most delicious Pot Pies I have ever made! This cuisine originated around the Pennsylvania Dutch region. It's the perfect meal for a cold winter day and is sure to keep you feeling all warm inside. I started out with a 1 inch thick, center cut pork chop, seasoned with sea salt and pepper on each side. I wanted to cook the meat a bit before adding it to the rest of the stew, so I seared on both sides for 5 minutes before cutting into cubes. I then added the meat into a pot with 3 cups of diced celery,carrots and green onions combined. By sauteing  the celery, carrots, green onions and pork with extra virgin olive oil, this tenderized the vegetables to just the right texture.
Next, it was time to make the gravy! I used a special brown gravy for this recipe. Here is the link to the blog used to make the Brown Gravy provided courtesy of "The slow roasted Italian". I added the gravy in with the rest of the vegetables before adding the the final and arguably the most important ingredient; the sweet green peas. Add 2 cups of frozen or fresh sweet green peas before seasoning with a little sea salt and pepper. Let the stew simmer on medium heat for about 5 minutes before removing from heat and pouring into individual small oven-safe containers and covering with your favorite crust. Cook for an additional 20 minutes on 350 degrees or until the pie crust is brown on top. Take it out of the oven and let it cool before serving. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!


No comments:

Post a Comment